August Program

comments Comments Off on August Program
By , August 19, 2013 10:30 am

Close Out Summer with LLOPS!

Wednesday, August 28th from Noon – 1:00 pm
Lane Powell
1420 5th Avenue, Suite 4200

Come and hear what the AALL/LLOPS LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS COMMITTEE did on their “Summer Vacation”
– Share your AALL conference experience
– Get ready for LLOPS fall programs

June Meeting – Birthday Party and New Officer Installation

comments Comments Off on June Meeting – Birthday Party and New Officer Installation
By , June 18, 2013 8:57 am
Let them eat cake

Photo: LLOPS

LLOPS is throwing its annual Birthday Party and New Officer Installation Party on Wednesday, June 26th from 12-1pm at Keller Rohrback (1201 3rd Avenue, Suite 3200). Come join us for cake and refreshments. Committee chairs will be presenting their annual reports and we will welcome next year’s Board of Directors.

Happy Hour Thursday!

comments Comments Off on Happy Hour Thursday!
By , June 18, 2013 8:54 am
eagle-rock-brew-pint-label-1213

Photo: fordsbasement/Flickr/Creative Commons License

Please join us at Pike Pub (1415 1st Avenue) this Thursday June 20th at 4:30ish for LLOPS Happy Hour. You buy your drinks (plus tax and tip). LLOPS pays for the noshes. Members only, please.  Not a LLOPS member? Click here to find out how to join!

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 5/22/2014

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 5/22/2014
By , June 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Attendees: Kim Ositis (President), Jennifer Hill (Past President), Philippe Cloutier (Vice President/President Elect), Laurel Evans (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary).

Location: via phone

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Kim Ositis at 10:02 a.m.

The following items were discussed:

1. 2013-14 Budget

The Board discussed a request from the Grants Committee to allocation an additional $200 to its budget for the fiscal year, thus increasing its allotment to $1700 for 2013-14. The amendment to the budget was approved by consensus.

2. Other Business

The Board agreed to schedule a board meeting for Friday June 6, 11:30 a.m, at Lane Powell.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 2/26/2014

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 2/26/2014
By , June 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Attendees: Kim Ositis (President), Jennifer Hill (Past President), Philippe Cloutier (Vice President/President Elect), Laurel Evans (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary), Sarah Griffith (Website Management Special Committee).

Location: Lane Powell

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Kim Ositis at 1:06 p.m.

The minutes of the 10/30/13 and 12/10/13 board meetings were approved by consensus.

The following additional items were discussed:

1. Treasurer’s Report

Laurel presented an update on the chapter’s finances. Most of the chapter’s expenditures since the last Board meeting went to costs associated with the holiday party held in December. Thomson Reuters donated funds which covered the majority of these costs, but the chapter spent $585.58 in addition to Thomson Reuters’ contribution. The Treasurer’s report was approved by consensus.

2. President’s Updates

a. The Membership Committee had hoped to have the chapter directory printed by March; however, committee chair Anna Endter suspects that the committee may not meet this goal. Since the end of the year is fast approaching, Anna has suggested offering a PDF of the current membership roster on the chapter website in lieu of a printed directory. The Board expressed support for this option.

b. The AALL chapter visit has been scheduled for May 28. AALL Secretary and Board Member Deborah Rusin will visit. Philippe will act as her host.

c. Kim will not be able to attend the March chapter meeting

3. Holiday Party Wrap-Up

The 2013 holiday party was well attended and went smoothly. Philippe said that planning and arranging the event required him to do more legwork than he had anticipated; he would suggest that whoever plans the party next year work more closely with Suzanne Wilkes from Thomson Reuters to share some of this work. The Board felt that the honorary memberships awarded at the party were well received. Kim suggested that the Board put out an annual call for nominees for lifetime membership each October, so that any future lifetime members can be honored at the holiday party every year.

4. Recommendations of the Website Management Special Committee

Sarah presented recommendations for software platforms to be used by the LLOPS Membership Committee. Her committee examined several different platforms and felt that two were most appropriate for our size and purposes: Wild Apricot and Membee. None of the platforms they examined provided any sort of easy option for formatting member data to print as a directory, but both Wild Apricot and Membee include most of the other features that we were seeking. After some discussion, the Board determined that Wild Apricot seemed the better option. Wild Apricot charges $25 per month for its least-expensive service tier, which can handle up to 250 members; an annual subscription is available for a 10% discount. Kim suggested that she and Anna should test Wild Apricot for a month at the $25 level to confirm its suitability and determine whether LLOPS might benefit significantly from additional features of the software that are available at the $50/month level. The Board approved a resolution authorizing a one-month subscription to Wild Apricot at the $25 level, with the intention to purchase an annual subscription if it proves suitable for our purposes.

5. Unfinished Business

There was no unfinished business.

6. Additional Business

Philippe suggested that we should update the chapter scrapbook in time for the AALL annual meeting, so that it can be part of our table display in San Antonio. Kim suggested that we might consider a digital option, such as a slide show use of an electronic picture frame. Kim will look for a volunteer to work on an updated scrapbook and will reserve a table for the chapter at the annual meeting that has access to power.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

 

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 12/10/2013

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 12/10/2013
By , June 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Attendees: Kim Ositis (President), Jennifer Hill (Past President), Philippe Cloutier (Vice President/President Elect), Laurel Evans (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary).

Location: via phone

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Kim Ositis at 3:02 p.m.

The following items were discussed:

1. Nomination for Lifetime Membership

The Board approved a motion to grant lifetime memberships to Fred Hanson. Fred and the four other individuals approved for lifetime membership during the October Board meeting will be honored during the holiday party.

2. 2013-14 Budget

The Board discussed the chapter’s budget for the current fiscal year. The budget was approved by consensus.

3. Chapter Bank Account

The Board discussed the possibility of moving the chapter’s account to a different financial institution. It was determined that this option should be postponed for further consideration shortly after the next change of chapter officers

4. Other Business

There was no additional business.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 3:25 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

 

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 10/30/2013

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 10/30/2013
By , June 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Attendees: Kim Ositis (President), Jennifer Hill (Past President), Philippe Cloutier (Vice President/President Elect), Laurel Evans (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary), Stephanie Wilson (Past Treasurer).

Location: Foster Pepper, Seattle, Washington.

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Kim Ositis at 1:05 p.m.

The minutes of the 8/28/13 Board meeting, as corrected, were approved by consensus.

The LLOPS financial report was presented and approved by consent.

The following additional items were discussed:

1. Updates from the President

Kim provided updates on a number of matters that been discussed at recent meeting.

–          Anna Endter has accepted the position of chair of the Membership Committee.

–          The Website Management Special Committee has launched and expects to present its report on potential solutions for moving membership information and dues payments to a web-based system by the June 2014 Board meeting.

–          Jennifer Hill, Kim Ositis, and Laurel Evans have been set up as signatories for the LLOPS checking account.

–          Kim has requested a AALL chapter visit.

–          The chapter’s Form 990 filing has been completed

2. 2013-14 Budget

The Board discussed the chapter’s budget for the current fiscal year. The final budget will depend on whether the chapter presents a professional development workshop this year. Although some individuals have offered to participate on the Professional Development Committee, so far no member has volunteered to chair it. Philippe offered to reach out to some potential candidates, on the understanding that if no committee chair is found within the next week, the chapter will not stage a professional development workshop in 2014.

3. Nominations for Lifetime Memberships

The Board approved a motion to grant lifetime memberships to Barbara Holt, Ellen Bowman, Dianne George, and Bridget Dacres. These individuals will be honored during the holiday party.

4. AALL Leadership Academy

The Board discussed providing support for any chapter member who is accepted in the AALL Leadership Academy. The Board agreed to add a $500 grant for participation in the Leadership Academy to the charge of the Grant Committee. Kim will communicate this to the committee chair.

5. Additional Business

There was no unfinished business or new business to discuss.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

 

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 8/13/2013

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 8/13/2013
By , June 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Attendees: Kim Ositis (President), Jennifer Hill (Past President), Philippe Cloutier (Vice President/President Elect), Laurel Evans (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary).

Location: Lane Powell, Seattle, Washington.

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Kim Ositis at 1:05 p.m.

The minutes of the 4/4/13 Executive Board meeting were approved by consensus.

The following items were discussed:

1. LLOPS Financial Matters

Past LLOPS Treasurer Stephanie Wilson has been unavailable recently, which has delayed the transition of some treasurer functions from Stephanie to Laurel. The Board will delay discussions of the next LLOPS budget until Stephanie returns. The Board approved a motion to authorize Jennifer Hill, Kim Ositis, and Laurel Evans as signatories for the LLOPS checking account.

2. Committees

The Board discussed whether to continue the current activities of the LLOPS Social Committee. It was decided that no changes will be made for the time being, subject to the willingness of Social Committee Chair Mort Brinkman to continue to organize social events. The Board granted Kim’s request to establish a special committee to run for one year, the Special Committee for Membership Management, which will be tasked with evaluating potential solutions for moving membership information and dues payments to a web-based system. The Special Committee will have the goal of recommending a specific solution by June 2014.

3. LLOPS Holiday Party 2013

The Board agreed on December 12 as a tentative date for this year’s Holiday Party. Philippe will begin exploring funding and venue options.

4. iSchool Liaison Position

The Board discussed the possibility of changing the term of the LLOPS iSchool Liaison position from two years to one year. It was suggested that such a change could make the position more attractive to students in the iSchool’s law librarianship program, which only lasts for one year. The Board agreed to add this to a list of potential changes to the LLOPS bylaws to be considered at a later date.

5. Professional Development Workshop

The Board agreed that we would like to hold a professional development workshop this year. However, no one has yet volunteered to chair the Professional Development Committee. Kim suggested, and the Board agreed, that we should not move forward with a professional development workshop this year if we do not have a Professional Development Committee chair in place by October 1.

6. AALL Chapter Visit

The Board agreed to request a visit from a member of the AALL leadership in May 2014.

7. LLOPS Mailbox

Stephanie Wilson will continue to retrieve mail from the LLOPS mailbox until the treasurer transition to Laurel is complete.

8. Required Annual Report

Kim reminded everyone that LLOPS must file a nonprofit corporation report with the Washington Secretary of State by March 2014. Jennifer indicated that the reporting form is rather simple and does not take much time to complete. Jennifer also confirmed that she submitted the chapter annual report to AALL the previous week. Kim will check with Stephanie regarding the status of the chapter’s 990-N filing.

9. Blog v. Discussion Group Postings and Recommendations from the Website/Blog Committee re: LLOPSCited Newsletter

Kim reported that the Website/Blog Committee has proposed to revive the LLOPSCited newsletter and presented the Board with a mockup of the newsletter. The newsletter would be emailed to members quarterly; it would not be posted on the blog, except perhaps in a members-only area. Kim will request that the Website/Blog Committee update their committee charge to add the newsletter to their committee responsibilities, and that they draft a policy to delineate what content is appropriate for the website (which is accessible to non-members) and what content should be limited to the newsletter, discussion group postings, and other members-only communication. The Board approved a motion to publish electronically-distributed issues of the newsletter for one year, subject to evaluation by the Board in June 2014 of whether to continue beyond that time, and to charge the Website/Blog Committee to draft a new policy on where various types of member communications should be published.

6. Other Business

Kim reported that AALL is offering various virtual training opportunities in October.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

 

LLOPS Business Meeting Minutes 6/26/2013

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Business Meeting Minutes 6/26/2013
By , June 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Attendees: Brenna Louzin, Dana Gaddy, Susan Bocek, Barbara Rothwell, Erin Hoffrance, Amy Eaton, Tina Ching, Barbara Holt, Mort Brinchmann, Laurel Evans, Philippe Cloutier, Karen Helde, Susan Rau, Crystal Sherman Norton, Jennifer Hill, Stephanie Wilson, Kim Ositis, Jill Allyn, Eli Edwards

Where: Keller Rohrback L.L.P., 1201 3rd Ave, Seattle, WA

Time: The business meeting was called to order by President Jennifer Hill at 12:10 p.m.

The meeting opened with announcements:

  1. Jennifer Hill reminded members to RSVP for the Pacific Chapters Joint Reception that will be held during the AALL conference in Seattle.
  2. Tina Ching on behalf of herself and Rita Dermody thanked everyone for their help, supporting and volunteering for the upcoming AALL annual meeting.
  3. Kim Ositis asked for more input on the Doodle poll regarding staffing the LLOPS activity table at the annual meeting.

Committee reports were given. (Full committee reports are filed by committee chairs and posted on the LLOPS blog):

  1. Treasurer: Stephanie Wilson gave the report including assets, vendor contributions and membership contributions and grants awarded.
  2. By-laws: Rick Stroup sent a report via email to say the committee was not active.
  3. Employment: Karen Helde gave the report.
  4. Government Relations: Sherry Leysen & Anna Endter submitted report via email.
  5. Grants: Erin Hoffrance reported that $2500 in grants were awarded to 8 members.
  6. Membership: Barbara Rothwell reported that membership is steady.
  7. Blog: Grace Feldman sent a report via email to say that the blog received 7,199 visits 60% of those are new visiters.
  8. Nominations/Elections: Karen Helde reports a successful election of a new Vice President/President Elect and Treasurer.
  9. Program: Brenna Louzin reports that the committee is in search of more volunteers.
  10. Salary Survey: Christy Leith submitted report via email
  11. Social: Mort Brinchmann reported the social events were not as well attended as hoped.
  12. iSchool Liaison: Tal Noznisky submitted report via email.
  13. Website: Kim Ositis reports that she would like to continue to update committee chairs on how to use WordPress and talk with the Board about what goes on the list-serv and what goes on the blog.

Outgoing President Jennifer Hill present the President’s Award to Karen Helde.

New officers:

  • Kim Ositis – President
  • Laurel Evans – Treasurer
  • Philippe Cloutier – Vice President/President Elect.

Incoming President Kim Ositis assumed her duties and stated her goals as President are:

    1. Form a 1 year Special Committee to research online membership management tools.
    2. Research any AALL suggestions for checks and balances to make sure LLOPS is doing everything correctly.

The meeting was adjourned by new President Kim Ositis at 12:31 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Erin Hoffrance

 

LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 4/4/2013

comments Comments Off on LLOPS Executive Board Meeting Minutes 4/4/2013
By , June 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Attendees: Jennifer Hill (President), Crystal Norton (Past President), Kim Ositis (Vice President/President Elect), Stephanie Wilson (Treasurer), Bret Masterson (Secretary).

Location: Davis Wright Tremaine, Seattle, Washington.

Time: The meeting was called to order by President Jennifer Hill at 12:30 p.m.

The following items were discussed:

1. Quickbooks for LLOPS Treasurer

LLOPS currently uses Excel for financial records. Stephanie was advised in an AALL Chapter Treasurer training to avoidExcel because files can become corrupted. A survey of other chapters indicated that someuse either Quicken or Quickbooks. (AALL does not offer specific advice about what software to use).Quickbooks seems better suited to non-profits. After discussion, the Board agreed that the web-based version of Quickbooks should be used going forward and authorized Stephanie to arrange for a subscription. Stephanie also provided a financial update, and Jennifer updated the board on applications for grants from LLOPS to attend the annual meeting.

2. AALL Officer Visit

AALL President Jean Wenger will be visiting the chapter next month and will attend our May 29th meeting. Kim will act as Jean’s escort. The board discussed other logistics for the visit, including what spots that Jean may want to visit and plans for a dinner that evening.

3. Newsletter/Blog Committee

Philippe Cloutier has stepped down as chair of the committee and Grace Feldman has agreed to take his place. Philippe has forwarded a suggestion that the Newsletter/Blog Committee or the Board set a policy on the appropriate place for communicating news about happy hours and other social events. He suggests that such items, and other news that is specific to paying members of LLOPS, be excluded from the blog in favor of placement on the LLOPS listserv or on committee pages. Kim thought that she had developed a policy previously that covered this issue; she will see if she can track it down.

4. LLOPS Social Committee Events

There was a discussion about issues that have arisen at recent happy hours sponsored by the Social Committee. On some occasions, some attendees who have left before the end of the evening have either departed without paying for their drinks or have not left enough money to cover taxes and tips, thus forcing members of the Social Committee to cover the shortfall. The Board agreed that members of the committee should not have to be responsible for these costs. Jennifer suggested that, going forward, happy hours should be held primarily at venues that allow separate checks. Kim noted that these sorts of situations are one reason why it would be useful to have a LLOPS credit card. There was some indication that there may not be any additional happy hour events in the near future; in light of this, the Board opted to hold off on taking further action to address this issue.

5. AALL Pacific Chapters Joint Reception

LLOPS this year is in charge of planning the Pacific Chapters Joint Reception, which is held every year during the annual meeting. Jennifer so far has not found anyone willing to provide sponsorship money for the event and is struggling to find a suitable venue that is not too costly. Although the other participating chapters contribute funds towards the event, the host chapter traditionally is responsible for coverage any overage; Jennifer indicated that the overage this year could be quite significant, depending in part on where we choose to stage the reception. The Board agreed that it would be appropriate for LLOPS to spend more than originally anticipated on the event if this would allow for a more desirable venue closer to the conference facilities, given the state of the organization’s finances and the likelihood that many of our members will attend. Jennifer also suggested that we solicit feedback from LLOPS members about whether LLOPS should continue to participate in the joint reception.

6. Other Business

Kim reported that the headshot event held on March 27th proved very popular. There was more demand than available slots, and participants seemed pleased with the quality of their photos.

Jennifer will look into arranging for LLOPS to have a table in the exhibit hall during the annual meeting.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Bret Masterson, Secretary.

 

LLOPS is powered by WordPress • Panorama Theme by ThemocracyLog In